If you still have the old server’s backup and you can get at the C:\windows\system32 folder, you “might” be able to restore the Service, rename “licstr.cpa in the system32 folder, copy “autolicstr.cpa” to Service and look in the Server Management Console to see if the licenses have been restored. If so, back those extra CALs up immediately with the licensing wizard and put the backup file in a safe place under lock and key.
As for why the licenses have disappeared make sure your antivirus software on the Small Business Server 2003 is not scanning the licensing files/folders:
The licensing files are located at:
Files and Folders to exclude from AV scanning both real-time and scheduled (assuming all programs are installed to the C: drive)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
C:\Program Files\Trend (substitute your AV program)
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro (substitute your AV program)
How to delete windows.old folder?
People have been asking me, how can I delete the Windows.old folder in my C: drive after upgrading Windows?
A lot of people try and just right click and delete but this will only present you with aces denied issues. Well the best way to delete this folder is to use Disk Clean-up Tool by doing the following:
1. Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disc Cleanup
2. When the dialog box comes up, select the drive that has the .old files on it and click OK
3. The system then scans for the files to be cleaned up and another dialog box opens with the selection. Click on the button labelled Clean up system files at the bottom of that dialog box.
4. Another dialog box will come up, select the drive again that has the .old files on it. The system will perform another scan for the system files that need to be cleaned up.
5. After scanning, another dialog box opens up and there you will find a list of check boxes. Scroll through and check on the box labelled older versions of Windows and click OK.
It will take about 10 – 20 minutes dependent on how big the folder is, but essentially that’s all you have to do.