This tutorial illustrates how to hide and show your computer drives from Windows XP. You can hide or show as you want both drives in your computer and drives in the computer network. This way can be safe for data in your computer and prevent others from accessing to your drives that may contain important information. This example I will hide drive D and you can apply this method to another drive you want, just change a value that I will explain “how to” in detail. Let you hide drives now.
- Access to the Registry Editor program, running regedit.
- Find the path like below,
- Right click on the Explorer folder and select New > DWORD Value.
- Name the registry NoDrives.
- Double click on NoDrives which is in the right page.
- In the DWORD Value window, select Decimal.
- In this case I want to hide drive D, so I must fill 8 in Value data. The number you filled varies with drive you want it to be hidden. If you want to hide the other drives, you must put the drive-related number like below,
A=1, B=2, C=4, D=8, E=16, F=32, G=64, H=128, I=256, J=512, K=1024, L=2048, M=4096, N=8192, O=16384, P=32768, Q=65536, R=131072, S=262144, T=524288, U=1048576, V=2097152, W=4194304, X=8388608, Y=16777216, Z=33554432, All drive=67108863
For example, I can hide drive J only if I put the number 512 under selecting Decimal. What to do in case I prefer to hide more than one drive ? That is easy just plus the numbers. To illustrate, I want to hide drive C and E so I put the result number of 4 plus 16 that is 20.
- Click OK button and close the Registry Editor program.
- Log off and Log on your computer. Finish !